FIRST is an international organization, based in the United States, which encourages STEM by providing opportunities for cooperative competition through several robotics programs. Here, FIRST will be represented by local high school robotics teams who will demonstrate their creations. Each January, FIRST Robotics teams are given 6 weeks to design, build, program, test and troubleshoot a robot capable of performing certain tasks for that year’s “game”. This year’s task was to design and build a robot capable of doing some or all of the following: picking up frisbees and throwing them at specific locations, and also climbing a metal pyramid, similar to monkey-bars. They then enter regional competitions in a bid to earn awards and possibly attend the International Competition. FIRST’s mission “is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.”
Sign up for our mailing list.
- Fab Lab of the Week: Westport, CT Library's MakerSpace 3D Printing on About
- Josselin on Westport Mini Maker Faire is Saturday 28 April 2012
- Westport Mini-Maker Faire | NESIT Hackerspace on About
- Events Schedule for Westport Mini Maker Faire | Westport Mini Maker Faire on Announcing the “Rube Goldberg Experiment” – Apply Now!
- Events Schedule for Westport Mini Maker Faire | Westport Mini Maker Faire on Announcing the “Battle of the Homemade Bands” – Apply Now!
Free Digital Copy